Monday, July 24, 2006

Another IM post

I have received a ton of e-mails discussing my views on IM and how it really is the new e-Mail (or at least it will become that).

I had another thought this weekend while playing an on-line game. Why is the IM in game not integrated with the IM in real life? I can send tells cross servers so not all conversation is meant for game play so no excuse there. Several of the on-line games are owned by companies that either have ties to or directly manufacture an IM product so no excuses there.

Wouldn't it be cool if parents wanted to get in contact with their kids that they could IM in game? Don't see why not. BTW, if you want to learn to be a good IM'r then play an on-line game. They have the individual, group and gang metaphor down.

1 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, July 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have wondered about this for a long time. While programs like xfire help a lot, it's a pain for the non gamers to have to install xfire. For awhile there was an msn plugin for xfire and rumors about an aim plugin by the same people, they don't seem to be supported anymore.
I always end up alt+tabbing to trillian or pigeon. Awhile ago I just installed a second monitor and run a virtual desktop program so each monitor is isolated from the other. Seems to be the only solution currently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home